To me, this dish represents the quintessential taste of family Deepavali feasts! Also perfect with a peg of whisky (or those thani sessions)... ;)
500g mutton or lamb meat - cubed
8 shallots, 2inch ginger piece, 4 cloves garlic - all ground into a paste
2 onions - finely sliced
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
3 cardamom pods
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon fennel powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon chilli powder (spicy version)
1/2 cup (approx. 125ml) thick coconut milk
Juice from half a lime
1. Marinate meat with the ground paste.
2. In a wok, heat a bit of oil/ghee and saute sliced onions, curry leaves, cinnamon, cloves, star anise and cardamom pods.
3. Add meat and close with lid for a few minutes. The juice will come out from meat.
4. Add turmeric, chilli/curry powder, cumin powder, fennel powder and salt. Mix well.
5. Add coconut milk. Let it cook until gravy is dried out and coats meat. Oil should form on edges. Keep stirring so that it evenly dries out.
6. Take off heat and squeeze lime juice. Stir well and it is ready to serve.
For a less spicy option, replace 1tbsp chili powder with 2 tablespoons meat curry powder + 1/2 teaspoon chili powder.