Sunday, February 15, 2009
Spicy tempura prawns
I guess you could call this adaptation of the classic tempura, a variation of the cucur udang I earlier posted about. But this one is so much more satisfying (an entire juicy prawn in a bite!), prettier and more serve-able as finger-food at parties (okay, my english grammar is shot but its really early in the morning!)...
Spicy Tempura Prawns
Icy cold water
Large prawns - shelled but the tail left on
Spring onions - finely chopped
Dried Chilli flakes
Salt to taste
1. In a bowl, season prawns with salt.
2. In a different bowl, whisk together tempura flour and icy cold water according to measurements on the packet (Note: this ratio tends to differ with different brands).
3. Add in spring onions and chilli flakes to the tempura batter and mix well.
4. Pre-heat oil in a wok and once its heated, dip the prawn in the batter one by one and fry in wok till golden brown.
5. Serve with sweet chilli sauce (those sweet Thai bottled ones work well)