Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bread Rolls

I know I mentioned in my R2R Holopchi post that I used the extra dough as bread rolls. Since it was my first time playing with yeast and making bread, I have to admit the feeling was giddily exciting - especially everytime I peeked into the bowl and saw the dough double, triple and quadruple in size. The end result turned out well, although a bit of fine-tuning wouldn't hurt (it was crusty hard on the outside and pleasantly yeasty tasting - perhaps I could make bigger rolls so that I get less crust and more crumbly soft insides).

Bread Rolls (adapted from The Keld Community Ladies Club in Ashville, Manitoba 1976 cookbook)
Ingredients:
A:
1 1/8 teaspoon instant yeast
2 tablespoon warm water
1/4 teaspoon sugar

B:
1/2 cup scalded milk (or warmed in the microwave)
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 cup flour

C:
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cup flour plus more as needed

Method:
1. Dissolve A (1/4 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons tepid water, yeast) and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Add in dissolved yeast to B together. Let rise in a warm place until double in bulk (about 1 hour)
3. Add C (salt, sugar and remaining flour).
4. Knead well until dough is smooth and top with melted butter or oil.
5. Place in a warm place and let rise until double in bulk. It will take about 2 hours. Punch down . When dough has risen to double in bulk, divide dough and form rolls.
6. Arrange on baking tray and leave for another 30 minutes or so to allow for dough to rise to double in bulk again.
7. Top each roll with butter.
8. Bake in a moderate oven of 180-200C for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

No comments: