Saturday, April 28, 2018

Thai cabbage stir-fry

Over the past two years living in Bangkok, I haven't had much interest to attempt cooking any Thai food at home. After all, I could just get it from the street corner or uncountable restaurants in the neighborhood.

This one dish has been a fave though - large crunchy cabbage leaves with a smoky, salty flavour - and it seemed simple enough to give it a shot at home... all I had to do was invest in a bottle of fish sauce!

Thai cabbage stir-fry

1 small cabbage - usually cut into large pieces, but I preferred it slightly smaller.
3 cloves garlic - sliced
1 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
Dash of white pepper

Method: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok until sizzling. Throw in garlic and fry until browned on edges. Keep heat high and throw in cabbage. Add fish sauce and pepper. Keep stir-frying on high heat until cabbage is cooked but still crunchy.

**note: I had leftover broccolini and corn which were on their last legs, so threw that into the wok too. 
** note 2: The stir-fries at Thai and Chinese restaurants have this beautiful smoky flavour (or "wok hei") that comes from cooking on high flames... imho its fairly impossible to replicate at home on a induction stove & non-stick pan! So usually I leave the garlic to brown as much as I can. 

No comments: