Friday, April 19, 2013

Egg roll-up with spinach & bacon

Diets and me just don't get along. I've lost count how many times (predictably it all starts after New Year's or Birthdays) I've tried to start one, went out and spent loads of $$$ on "healthy" ingredients and then ended up falling off the wagon within a week. After having hormone stuff go bonkers due to weight and much nagging from my doc, I'm trying to go low-carb. Key word - trying (since it's only been day two). But going through recipe books has inspired me back to blogging, so thought I'd share this simple lunch I had today.


Egg roll-up with spinach & bacon (makes 2 servings)

Ingredients: 
2 eggs
A dash of milk
Salt to taste
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups Spinach
5 slices of black pepper loin or lean bacon
Some grated cheddar cheese
A sprinkle of paprika
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)

Method: 
1. In a frying pan, cook bacon till you see the fat render, then add chopped garlic. Add spinach when garlic is golden.
2. In a bowl, whisk eggs with milk, salt and paprika. Once spinach mixture is cooked, place it to a separate bowl and stir in flaxseed. In the same frying pan (without adding oil, as it should still have the bacon grease), pour in egg mix and move the pan so that you get a "pancake".
3. Add some grated cheese on top of the egg and let it melt, before spooning in spinach-bacon mixture. Fold egg in half. Add a dash of paprika on top.

P/s: I did not add salt to the spinach mixture as usually bacon has its own saltiness. Also no oil apart from the fat from the bacon was used.

No comments: