I'm not a huge fan on a regular basis of Spaghetti Bolognaise because I find it too rich. But it does make great comfort food - so one good way for consuming it guilt free is to break up the pure meat sauce by sneaking in some veggies (gettit? Half and Half). And it's amazing how many people wouldn't know that there's more than one veggie in there...
This makes a big pot that is enough for 5-6 servings.
1/2 & 1/2 Spaghetti Bolognaise
500g Mince meat (I use beef/lamb)
1 large onion - chopped
Garlic - chopped finely
Cauliflower - chopped finely (I use half a big head)
1 carrot - shredded
Button Mushrooms - sliced
Half a cup of Leggo's tomato paste with garlic and herb
Water (between half a cup to 3/4 depend on the sauciness you want)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook spaghetti according to instructions on packaging and leave aside.
2. Heat a little olive oil and saute garlic and onions until aromatic. The onions should be translucent (trick to getting yummy saute onions is to sprinkle salt over them so that it sweats out and browns better).
3. Add in mince meat and veggies. Give it a good mix. Then add some water, seasoning and tomato paste. Cover and leave to cook down.
4. Check on it and give it a good stir a couple of times - it should cook between 10 - 15 minutes to get a nice thick sauce.
5. Ladle over a plate of spaghetti. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and enjoy!