I've always wondered what the difference between muffins and cupcakes were... they both look the same to me. I found myself stuck between the same thought when figuring out what to call this adaptation of a carrot cake recipe (basically I was feeling that sticking batter into paper cups would make the whole distribution job easier). After a bit of googling, Cake Spy had some answers and thus, Carrot & Raisin Cereal MUFFINS was born... turns out that muffins are denser and less sweet - just how I like em! P/s: This recipe makes a great breakfast meal too...
Carrot & Raisin Cereal Muffins
2 cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice powder (or 2/3 tsp cinnamon, 1/3 tsp nutmeg powder)
1/2 cup nestum cereal (or oats)
2/3 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/3 cup milk
2 cups grated carrot
1. Sift flour and mixed spice powder together. Stir in Nestum and raisins.
2. In mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together. Add eggs, one by one and beat well.
3. Add vanilla essence. Alternate folding in the flour mixture with milk.
4. Fold in carrot, mixing well.
5. Drop a spoonful of batter into paper cups or a muffin tray.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 celcius for 20-25 minutes.