Sunday, April 26, 2009

Scenes From My Night Market

Every Thursday since childhood, I get a little excited at the prospect of dinner... because (most of the time) without fail, I know that it will likely be from our neighbourhood's weekly pasar malam or night market. For those of you who have yet to experience a night market, let me tell you, it can be a foodie's paradise. Imagine an otherwise quiet area magically coming alive from 6pm-11pm - whole stretches filled with every possible street hawker fare, clothes, accessories, household items, produce, butchers, fishmongers, pirated DVDs and then some. The wafting smells, clanging of metal spoons hitting woks, lively chatter as vendors call out - I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

I was feeling a little camera shy after a while (the looks this strange girl clicking away... oui) so there aren't many shots for now... hopefully will be able to work my way down the street bit by bit...

1. The popiah or spring roll uncle in action. Thin rice paper sheets spread with stewed white carrot, nuts, fried onions, sweet chilli sauce, cucumber shreds and crunchy bits rolled up.


2. The noodle soup couple - I love love love their tangy assam laksa and have it almost every other week, in fact they remember what toppings I want (extra chicken, no raw onion). The har meen or prawn noodle soup is yummy too.

3. The Char Kuey Tiow or charred rice noodles guy generating some serious heat and tantalizing aroma with his quick handling of the wok. Now, this is what I call fast food!


4. Cool down with some coconut juice and freshly pressed sugar cane juice.


5. Sweet corn - on the cob or in a cup!


6. Cakes, Ice-cream, ground coffee, steamboat and more stalls as far as the eye can see.

1 comment:

Lori said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. Not to mention that it does sound like a foodies dream.