This is a bit backdated but things have been ultra-swamped trying to clear work before year-end leave.
I was miserable with a capital M on the day my flight to bangkok (and thus the entire holiday) was cancelled. After spending close to an hour on hold and still no luck (in one instance) with the airlines for my refund, i was aching for the comfort of a nice and quick bowl of pasta.
Spaghetti with chunky tomato and bacon sauce
Spaghetti - cook like usual, drain and set aside
Celery - chopped
Shallots - left whole
Garlic - roughly chopped
Cherry tomatoes - left whole
Half a can of tomato puree
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1. In a pot, heat oil and saute shallots, cherry tomatoes, bacon and garlic till aromatic and slightly browned.
2. Add in water and celery and leave to simmer until celery softens (and you get a nice broth, so make a bit extra and save some of the liquid for other stuff).
3. Add in tomato puree and herbs. Season to taste.
4. Using the back of your spoon, squish the shallots, garlic and cherry tomatoes into the sauce to release more flavour. Alternatively, if you want a smoother sauce - take it off heat and leave to cool before puree-ing it in a food processor.
5. Plate spaghetti and top with sauce.