Sunday, November 23, 2008

Tomato Chicken Curry & Stirfry Bak Choy

Sometimes I wish I had 6 hands (yeah, yeah despite possibly looking like the goddess Kali) so that I could multi-task even more. As I type this, the laptop speakers are playing last week's episode of Grey's Anatomy (running on another window so I can switch if anything sounds interesting or McSergeant appears on the scene) and I'm sitting perched on my bed haphazardly surrounded by clothes that I am in the midst of packing (read: trying to squeeze) into my backpack for the trip.

There's no relation between that admission and the recipe other than the fact that it could easily be prepared if you're too busy multi-tasking (as I am wont to do these days).

Tomato Chicken Curry
Ingredients:
2 Chicken fillets - cut into bite size pieces
Onions - Sliced
Garlic - chopped
Half a can (about 8 tablespoons) of tomato puree
2 tablespoons of meat curry powder
1/2 cup Milk
Salt to taste

Method:
1. Heat oil and saute onions and garlic until translucent and aromatic.
2. In a bowl, mix chicken pieces with curry powder.
3. Add to pan together with tomato puree, salt, a bit of water (if too thick) and leave to cook.
4. Once chicken is cooked, add in milk and leave to thicken to desired gravy consistency.
5. Serve with rice.


Stirfry Bak Choy
Ingredients:
Bak Choy - large shreds
Shallots - sliced
Red chilli - sliced
Garlic - sliced

Method:
1. Saute shallots, red chilli and garlic in oil till soft. Throw in bak choy and give it a quick stir & toss action on high heat till it is slightly soft and the stems are still crunchy.

2 comments:

MrOrph said...

I like this!

What is "meat" curry powder?

Kavs said...

Curry powder over here comes packed in two different forms - meat (for chicken, game and lamb) and seafood (also used for veggies). Its already pre-mixed with the suitable spices.

Meat: Chilli, Coriander, Aniseed, Cumin, Cinnamon, Pepper, Star Anise, Cloves and other spices.

Seafood: Turmeric, Chili, Coriander, Aniseed, Cumin Seeds, Pepper and other spices.

Ooh... and I just discovered you can order Baba's (a fave curry& spice powder brand in my home) online at http://www.malaysianfood.net/ordermsiancurry.htm