Continuation from here ...
This is periamma's killer mutton varuval recipe (which I am passing on to my mom to try because her mutton "varuval" still need somes serious work). Some people like their varuval super hot and some not so hot, so adjust the chilli powder content according to your taste.
One kilo mutton
2 dessert spoons curry powder (+ chilli powder if you want it spicy)
Thick coconut milk (First squeeze)
Thin coconut milk (the second and third squeeze)
Onions (according to your liking)
About 2 tablespoon pounded garlic and ginger
2 lemon grass stems crushed
1 teaspoon turmeric
Ghee (Clarified butter)
1 teaspoon cumin (jintan manis) - roasted and pounded
2 cinnamon sticks
A couple of cardamom pods
A couple of cloves
Salt to taste
1. Season mutton pieces with curry powder, chilli powder, ginger, garlic, turmeric and salt. Leave aside for half an hour.
2. Heat ghee and saute cumin, cinnamon, cardomom and cloves. Add sliced onions and saute until golden. Add in curry leaves and lemongrass.
3. Add in mutton and thin coconut milk. Cover and cook till meat is tender.
4. Add in thick coconut milk and cook till dry.
5. Add in more curry leaves, onions and ghee and stir fry mutton till meat is dry and dark.
p/s: Be prepared for a bit of pot scrubbing - comes with the territory of truly "dry" mutton varuval.